Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3...2....1.....Blast off!!!!

Kelton is in an after school club called Young Astronauts. They were lucky enough to get to go to Space Camp on a field trip and I got to go with them. Kelton was chosen out of 25 or so kids to be the Commander of the ship. I had no idea what this trip entailed. I was so stressed out for the students by the end of their training that I was super glad I was only a parent volunteer! They go through all the steps that a real air craft goes through to launch. They even had to solve problems and get back on track within seconds or they would fail to launch on time. They were in competition with other schools that went through the camp, earning points for launching on time, solving problems within seconds, and pushing in their code or doing their job within 4 seconds of their turn. Kelton, since he was Commander, had several codes in a short period of time a few times during the launch. He did very well. (Glad it wasn't me!)

Here is the cockpit crew. Kelton and the pilot were in the nose of the ship. They had land crews too, that were connected via computer. It was so cool! (Photos were before the mission, so none of the computers or anything were on. )





Ready for take-off!
Kelton said that was the funnest stressful thing he's ever done!

2 comments:

  1. How cute! I can't wait until I get to do these kinds of things with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat club to be involved in! Now we'll just wait and watch for when Kelton is really being launced into outer space. We'll see how stressed you are then!

    ReplyDelete