It happens one or two times a year. This particular year, I was headed to bed and I heard pitiful meows outside my window. Chad and I went outside with flashlights and found this white one underneath our front porch. We knew there were probably more, so we searched around and saw another tortoise-shell in the flower bed. It had crawed until it was exhausted and we thought it was dead. It wasn't.
We took them inside and warmed them up and gave them a little cows milk and a little bit of sugar to bring their blood sugar count up. They began to perk right up. The next day we got some kitten formula from the vet and fed them with eye droppers.
They were soooo cute and we were instantly attatched. We tried our best to keep them healthy, including wiping their little bums just like their Momma would do and getting up every few hours during the night to feed them. We knew they didn't get the colostrum they needed though because they were so young. We found their Mamma dead, so we knew she wasn't going to come back. The kids even prayed for them in family prayer.
However, despite our best efforts, they were just too little and too weak. The white one died a few hours before his sister. This is a snapshot of "Roxy" just before she died. We made her as comfortable as possible.
It was the saddest thing. I cried and cried! Hopefully somehow they knew they were loved.
How sad! I'm getting teared up just thinking about it. I'm sure they new they were loved and knew you were doing all that you could. You'll be blessed
ReplyDelete